Friday, June 25, 2010

Sabang - Aceh's Slice of Paradise

Yesterday morning I took a ferry over to the island of Sabang, which is also referred to as Pulau Weh.  I was recommended this hotel/resort destination called Freddie's Santai Sumur by a friend of mine at IAIN. 
There are two ferries that go to and from Sabang - the express (which I took, and was only 45 minutes), and the big slow boat (takes an hour and a half).

The resort was AMAZING, and very affordable at only $25 per night.  And since I was only staying for one night, even better!  The rooms are actually individual bungalows, complete with a mini fridge and complimentary drinks, western toilet, and hot shower.  This was my first hot shower in 7 weeks, and I enjoyed every single minute of it.

The first thing I did when I got there (after basking in the luxurious delight of my bungalow) was go snorkeling.  As a matter of fact, that was pretty much all I did - snorkeling, swimming, and basking in the sun.  This was only my second time snorkeling, and it was great.  There were so many fish and some beautiful coral.  I recognized a lot of the fish I saw from the movie Finding Nemo, and I also saw Rainbow Fish :)

I had such a relaxing day - I just wish that I could have stayed longer.  But as it turns out, I need to pick up my passport from the Immigration Office here in Banda by 3.00pm this afternoon, and the only two ferries that leave Sabang are at 8.00 am and 4.30 pm.  But I'm glad I got to spend at least one day relaxing and simply enjoying myself with no worries. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment